- This event has passed.
City Lights Long Distance
February 28 @ 4:00 pm - 10:00 pm AWST
The Event is held is held each long weekend in March on the Sunday. It has 30 km of everything from the tranquil isolation of the Canning River to the sometimes turbulent Perth waters. Near the Narrows Bridge at sunset, the looming city comes to life casting a spectacular backdrop as a myriad of luminous lights cast a magical setting across the moonlit waters to the South Perth foreshore. The hard slog of the homeward paddle is ‘lessened’ with the realisation that awaiting paddlers is the luxury of the AKC Clubrooms where a lavish meal, hot showers, band and most importantly a captive audience waiting to hear the tales of yet another race accomplished.
It is a unique challenge. It is not a novice race – you must have the skills and experience to cope with the course length, the exposed waters in the the middle of the course, and night paddling. The relay option allows you to divide the distance between two teams: The first tackling a 13km daylight leg and the second a 17km twilight/night leg.
WELCOME TO 2021 CITY LIGHTS Sunday 28th February 2021
ALL RACERS MUST REGISTER [BOTH/ALL TEAM MEMBERS]
Register at this link https://www.webscorer.com/register?raceid=232531
SAFETY EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS
Half of this race happens after dark. The organisers will provide an emergency phone number and two safety boats. ALL COMPETITORS TO WEAR or HAVE (To be checked at registration) :
• white light,
• Enough boat buoyancy for capsize,
• Scissors for fishing line (recommended)
• Appropriate boat. White water boats not permitted
• Start All competitors: Riverton Bridge Park.
• Four Check Points: see map (compulsory portage & light check at Narrows)
• Finish: Ascot Kayak Club
• Must race in pairs or team boats, no solo
• Relay option available (2 teams of 2) change at Narrows
• Car shuffle required between Riverton and Ascot
• $42.00 all PA member entrants includes dinner & music at Ascot
• additional $20 fee for non PA members (ie you not belong to a club)
• Supporters dinner ticket = $10
Note: For dinner only, enter “Dinner Only” in the boat selection section, insert “No Partner” in the partner section and, in the payment section, select as many Dinners as you want, up to 5. If you need more, register again.
• Categories: Open, Veteran (45+), Mixed, Relay Team
• Age applies at year end, Pair must both be in age category or enter in “Open”
• No Junior categories, if accepted they race as ‘Open’. Participants must be 16+ on 28/2/21
• Competitors under 18 must have parent permission.
• Must have competed in previous distance events (i.e. Avon, Marathons etc.)
4.00 pm Registration Opens (Note: No race entries at registration – must enter online)
5.00 pm Race Briefing – All participants must be present
5.30 pm Race Starts – 5 min grid intervals, slower teams first
Ascot [at end]:
8:20 pm First paddlers due at finish line
8.00 pm Food available
9.30 pm Presentations and Prize Giving [will take place even if some racers not finished]
Calendar powered by The Events Calendar